Presenting the 2020 French Fintech Landscape
For the third year in a row, we are very proud to share with you the French Fintech Landscape. We mustered all our energy together with the team at France Fintech to provide you with an exhaustive overview of the French ecosystem. Let’s discover together these amazing French startups!
This landscape (easy download of HD version here) has grown impressively with 592 startups identified – and we keep discovering new ones every day! This two-digit growth hints at a promising 2020 😊
We chose to break down this thorough overview into seven categories in order to give you a better understanding of the main activities. Among them, the financing category is the most prominent one, with more than 23% of all fintechs active in this space.
Beyond that, there is an even distribution between payment services, regtech, operational services, insurance and wealth management solutions. Here are a few thoughts that come to mind when looking at this deep dive:
- There has been a clear growth in insurtech and operational services with the development of data analytics to improve processes: reciTAL or prevision.io offer ML tools as support for financial services for example. In the field of services for insurers, Akur8 is an amazing solution for actuaries to model and price risks, and Qantev helps them optimize their networks.
- The fullstack insurance subcategory is expanding with Seyna (ex-Gustaf) joining Alan. Welcome on the risk carrier side, Seyna !
- On the banking side, many PFM and payment apps are willing to converge to neobank-like positioning, a choice we could easily understand when we look at the valuations of the unicorns in this field, like Revolut, N26 or Nubank.
- There are also more and more startups focused on employee benefits at the edge of the hrtech / fintech world (see Epsor)
- And did you notice the boom of solutions around accounting, dunning and cash forecast / management that may well step on B2B neobanks’ toes? See Agicap, Dunforce, Dougs, etc.
And while 2019 and the beginning of 2020 were marked by impressive funding rounds (hello Qonto, Lydia…), we hope that the new year will also bring more of the same! In this regard, have a look at our 2020 fintech and insurtech predictions, they might give us some clues on where fintech and insurtech are heading to!
// Can’t find yourself? Just fill in the typeform over there: http://bit.ly/MappingFintech2020